Wednesday, May 28, 2014

June 10th

Since it's been awhile since my last update, I wanted to enlighten everyone following Patrick's story about what is currently "on the plate" for the Shaws.  I spoke over the telephone with Emily about one week ago, and she told me what the current plan of action is for Patrick.

Last week, Patrick met with his new (due to moving) radiation oncologist.  Most of the information he received from this physician could be considered good news.  However, like most things cancer-related, it didn't come without risks and side effects.  The good news is, Patrick's radiation oncologist thinks that his "new" tumor is small enough to be adequately treated with ultra-high-dose targeted radiation to the point which he may not need any further surgery.  In essence, her treatment plan is for Patrick to undergo 5 (daily or every-other-day) intense radiation treatments to the tumor location, wait several months, repeat the PET scan, and {insert lots of prayer} hope that the tumor is gone and Patrick requires NO surgery in the end.  She believes there is an 80-85% chance that this plan will be fully successful.  Both Emily and Patrick are strongly leaning toward taking this "good chance" to avoid another surgery, but ask for your continued prayers for discernment.  

As previously mentioned, if Patrick chooses to proceed with this radiation-only approach, there are physical and fertility-related side effects as well as some dangers if he should fall in the 15-20% of the population in which radiation does not fully eradicate the tumor.  Should this happen, the radiation oncologist informed the Shaws that the less invasive surgery (in which Patrick's organs are NOT removed from his abdominal cavity) will no longer be an option due to tissue scarring from the radiation.  Instead, if the follow-up PET scan reveals any tumor activity, Patrick will have no choice other than the surgery to remove both his bladder and prostate.

As you can see, Emily and Patrick need your prayers.  My understanding is that final decisions and the beginning of the Shaw's chosen treatment plan will begin on June 10th.  Between now and then, please pray for wisdom, discernment, divine intervention, and the BEST POSSIBLE results regardless of which course the Shaws choose to take.  God is so much bigger than this tumor!


  1. I will be praying. We serve a mighty Savior! He is our Great Physician!

  2. Praying without ceasing